Welcome to the Cheeky Weekly blog!


Welcome to the Cheeky Weekly blog!
Cheeky Weekly ™ REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, COPYRIGHT ©  REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED was a British children's comic with cover dates spanning 22 October 1977 to 02 February 1980.

Quick links...
Basic Stats
Cheeky Weekly Index - Cheeky Annuals and Specials Index
Cheeky Weekly Artist Index
Features by Number of Appearances
Cheeky Weekly Timeline
Major Characters from the Cheeky pages
Features Ordered by Date of Commencement

*** ALL IMAGES COPYRIGHT ©  REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Used with permission. ***
*** CHEEKY WEEKLY, KRAZY, WHOOPEE!, WHOOPEE, WOW!, WHIZZER AND CHIPS and BUSTER ARE ™ REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, COPYRIGHT ©  REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ***
Thanks for reading the blog.

Monday 12 July 2010

Friend of Cheeky Fun Wallet


























More in in keeping with the joke-fest nature of Cheeky Weekly than the Red Jet Rattler, the free gift in the second issue was the Friend of Cheeky Fun Wallet. This consisted of a self-assembly cardboard sleeve and two cardboard joke strips. The strips were inserted into the wallet in such a way that a feed line could be read in one window, with the hilarious tag line visible through another. The spare joke strip could be stored safely in the wallet while not in use.

There were apparently four different wallet/joke strip combinations given away. UPDATE 22 June 2022 - The Fun Wallet variants can be seen here.

Inside the wallet there is a space for the owner to proudly record their name and address, under which is the legend 'A regular reader of Cheeky Weekly', an attempt to instil in the possessor an obligation to buy the comic in perpetuity.

The wallet also introduces the concept of the Friend of Cheeky (a reader of the comic), which was to be used with the next free gift and on the letters page.

4 comments:

  1. My one was green. I seem to recall that one of my friends had a different coloured one and the jokes in his were also different.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David - yes, as we'll see when I post the cover of issue 2, the wallets were green, blue and two reddish colours that aren't very distinct on the cover of the comic. I expect they all had different jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again,

    I had a brainwave yesterday about the Cheeky joke wallet. I teach English (and more recently Spanish) in Germany and the wallet would be an excellent aid for learning vocablulary. Would it be possible to scan the wallet folded out against a coloured background? I could then edit the design and supply it to my students for them to cut out and use with vocab sheets that I would be able to set up and print for it. I would be so, so grateful if you could do this for me! Thanks (cheekily) in advance!

    Rob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob - yes, that should be possible. I just need to find the wallet (I think it's still inside the comic it came in). So you just want the wallet and not, I presume, the joke strips? Do you want to send me your email address in a comment? (I won't publish it).

      Delete