Welcome to the Cheeky Weekly blog!


Welcome to the Cheeky Weekly blog!
Cheeky Weekly ™ REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, COPYRIGHT ©  REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED was a British children's comic with cover dates spanning 22 October 1977 to 02 February 1980.

Quick links...
Basic Stats
Cheeky Weekly Index - Cheeky Annuals and Specials Index
Cheeky Weekly Artist Index
Features by Number of Appearances
Cheeky Weekly Timeline
Major Characters from the Cheeky pages
Features Ordered by Date of Commencement

*** ALL IMAGES COPYRIGHT ©  REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Used with permission. ***
*** CHEEKY WEEKLY, KRAZY, WHOOPEE!, WHOOPEE, WOW!, WHIZZER AND CHIPS and BUSTER ARE ™ REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, COPYRIGHT ©  REBELLION PUBLISHING LTD, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. ***
Thanks for reading the blog.

Tuesday 24 January 2017

Leslie 'Styx' Harding's Cheeky

One of the joys of being a comics enthusiast is discovering unexpected character/artist combinations. Here's one such - the toothy funster depicted by Styx in an episode of Paws, first published in Krazy dated 23 April 1977.

Krazy 23 April 1977
Art: Styx (Leslie Harding)


I didn't realise until doing a bit of research just now that Styx was, in the early 1950s, a mentor of Reg Smythe, the creator of Andy Capp.

For more examples of Cheeky drawn by non-regular artists, follow this link.

9 comments:

  1. Styx - ah that brings back a memory! I was always interested in who drew what even back when I was a regular comics reader in the 70's and 80's and I was curious enough about who on Earth drew "Paws" (as it was never signed) that I wrote to Whizzer and Chips with an illustrated letter with that question (amongst others). Surprisingly they actually answered my question reproducing my drawings as well! It's in the Whizzer and Chips Whiz-Kids section - I think it was in March of 1980.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matthew - that's set me a challenge to find your printed letter - watch this space!

      Delete
    2. That would be fantastic - I'd love to see it again!

      Delete
    3. Hi Matthew - I hope you might check back here at some point.

      Unfortunately I haven't been able to find your letter and artwork in Whizzer and Chips. I checked the issues dated 02 Feb 1980 to 26 April 1980. I think it's unlikely that your letter appeared on the Whiz-kids page as Paws appeared in Chips. However I did check both the Whiz-kids and Chip-ites pages in all the issues above, as well as all the other pages in case there was a special 'readers drawing' feature. In addition to my detailed examination of the isues between the dates above, I also did a quick leaf through the Chip-ites pages in the issues dated 22 December 1979 to 27 September 1980 which, I think, is the final time Paws appeared. Sadly, no luck there. I also had a quick look at the Chip-ites pages in March 1979 just in case you had mis-remembered the year.I'm fairly certain I have all the W&C issues between all the dates mentioned, but maybe I'm missing the crucial issue or failed to spot your letter and artwork somehow, although I did note that there was no readers' artwork at all in any of the issues I looked at. I assumed your drawing was of Paws, but maybe I'm wrong and I missed it for that reason.

      Delete
    4. Gosh, many thanks for looking! I do have a copy somewhere with my letter and artwork, however it's in my parent's house attic in the UK (I live in the US now) amongst many other issues. I'll see if I can get my dad to find it. I may have misremembered the date as you say.

      Delete
    5. Let me know if you find it!

      Delete
  2. love the fight at the end...lots of paws flying..
    nice idea seeing other artists drawing cheeky..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a large folder of original cartoons (pre 1982) by the late Leslie Harding, known as Styx
    (HARDING Leslie Clifford 1914-1991)
    Styx was, in the early 1950s, a mentor of Reg Smythe, the creator of Andy Capp.

    I’m trying to find the best way of selling them to ensure they find a good home and I wondered if an auction might be the best avenue to take?

    Kind regards
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie. I'm sure there would be interest in original artwork by 'Styx'. Unfortunately I have never sold or bought artwork at auction, so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice. I'd suggest the Comics UK Forum would be a good place to seek some guidance. Good luck!

      Delete